FWD>RE>expression control

Vance Baird Vance_Baird at quickmail.clemson.edu
Wed Feb 19 21:08:35 EST 1997

Mail*Link(r) SMTP               FWD>RE>expression control

Regarding "control" probes for northern blots: A summary of responses.
Thanks for the suggestions!
-Vance

=================
Date: 2/17/97 9:06 PM
From: Masashi UGAKI
Your post about "expression control" is of general concern.  Would you pleas
e summarize replies later and post it to the net?

Masashi Ugaki
==================

We have tried a ubiquitin probe (part of ubiquitin 10).  However, it
turns out that the 3 bands detected on Northerns using this probe are
not constitutively expressed. In our case, they all show some variation
in expression through the light period of a day.

We often use ribosomal probes for quantification of loading on
Northerns.

<j.putterill at auckland.ac.nz>
=====================

We use a ubiquitin probe to normalize our northern blots. I don't think it's
responsive to different light levels but you would have to check. The
reference
for the probe is Glazebrook et al., Genetics, 143, 973, 1996. I hope this
helps.

ROGERS at Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU
======================

We have used some cytosolic ribosomal protein cDNAs as loading
controls.  They seem to be reasonable; good under a variety of
conditions.  Auxins can certainly stimulate rp gene expression, I have
not looked at other hormones.  There are a bunch ESTs that you can get
from OSU, I've used the S11 probe that we cloned in the past.

<steve at biosci.cbs.umn.edu>

We have used ubiquitin with good results. In most cases the UBI4
mRNA level did not change significantly, i.e. not more than with a factor of
2.
You may check
- Kawalleck et al. (1993) Plant Mol. Biol. 21, 673-684; and
- Feldbr#031#gge et al. (1996) Mol. Gen. Genet. 251, 619-627.

e-mail: weisshaa at mpiz-koeln.mpg.de