Arabidopsis name

Anne Britt abbritt at ucdavis.edu
Tue Feb 25 19:19:28 EST 1997

<x-rich>This <italic>is</italic> a question of interest to us all!  I follow
the journal's guidelines.  I'm also happy to write it in whatever form
a reviewer requests, just so long as they don't ask me to do any more
benchwork.

<bold>Genetics</bold> specifically states:

Binomial names: Italicize names of organisms only when the species is
indicated (Neurospora, but <italic>Neurospora crassa

For those of you who can't read the italics on your email, the first
version is not italicized, but the second two are.  Note also that
there is a capital letter on all three versions.  I know some journals
write drosophila, for example, with a small d, but
<bold>Genetics</bold> doesn't.  And some journals insist on
Arabidopsis, while permitting drosophila.  This is terribly, terribly
unfair.

>Dear arabidobians,

>I would like to submit an important question.  How do we write the
name

>arabidopsis ?  I am reading some reports and observing that the most
used

>forms are: Arabidopsis thaliana (in italics), A.thaliana (in
italics),

>arabidopsis (non-italics) and sometimes even Arabidopsis
(non-italics).

>This last form naturally is wrong because if Arabidopsis is a latin
name it

>should be italicized or underlined, if it is a vulgar name, it should
not

>have the initial capitalized.

>However, about two years ago the ISPMB established that the name

>arabidopsis is vulgar, like tomato and sunflower, and thus it should
not be

>written capitalized and in italics.  This statement therefore has not
been

>significantly followed by the authors. Why ?

>Can we decide finally as to write arabidopsis ?

>Cheers.  Fernando.

> *  Dr.Fernando Migliaccio                             *

> *  IBEV Institute/Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche  *

> *  00016 Monterotondo (Rome) Italy                    *

> *  Voice: ++39 6 90672530;  Fax: ++39 6 9064492       *

> *  E-mail: miglia at nserv.icmat.mlib.cnr.it             *

Anne Britt

Assistant Professor

Section of Plant Biology