Arabidopsis?

David Galbraith dgalbrai at ag.Arizona.EDU
Thu Feb 27 11:39:45 EST 1997

Whilst musing the possibility of a second C-value paradox -- that the size
of the plant genome might be inversely proportional to the number of
syllables in the binomial (cf. Zea mays, Oryza japonica, Arabidopsis
thaliana) -- I realized this brought up the question of why to use nine when
two are perfectly adequate.  I refer of course to "thale cress", vulgar,
perhaps too vulgar for the US, but consider the possibilities...

(1)     We could rename Weeds World: "On Thale".  This eliminates the hint
of residual hippy flavour (circa sixties) and nicely incorporates the
predominant interest of our Generation X students.  It also eliminates
complications encountered when the general public is searching on the web
for information about kudzu, morning glory, or dandelion infestations (or
whatever).  For those classically inclined, the alternative name is
obviously "Thaliana".

(2)     A series of other publications dedicated solely to TC might arise.
Consider "Crescit"  a Journal of growth and development.  Again:  "Cress"
presumably and analogously published by Cress Press.  Expect a special issue
on stress.  Finally, "Ultima Thale" a distributed web journal of no fixed
location (similar to The Tree of Life).

(3)    Publication of the complete genome sequence could be done as the
"Genome Archive of Arabidopsis thaliana (Thale Cress)" acronymically, as the
Romans might have it, "Behold this site!".

David Galbraith