Calibrating EMS mutagenesis in Arabidopsis

Mark Camara mcamara at utk.edu
Mon Jan 6 11:15:18 EST 1997

I need some advice.  I want to use EMS mutagenesis to introduce genetic
variability into a lab population of Arabidopsis thaliana, but my
requirements are different from usual approaches.  Rather than trying to
induce mutations affecting specific phenotypic traits and then seeking
to identify them, I am working on the POPULATION level and want to
induce an average of 1 point mutation per genome.

I need this because I want to characterize not specific mutations, but
rather the average impact of a random mutation on genetic architecture.
Most of what I have read indicates that in the search for "useful"
mutants, that EMS treatent is effective, but that one complication is
that when a mutant is found, the genetic background must be cleaned up
because there can be 2-100 other point mutations in the genome.

Can anyone provide a way to calibrate the EMS treatment so as to produce
this (average) rate of mutation?

Thanks in advance,

Mark Camara
Botany Dept. U. Tenn, Knoxville