Arabidopsis growth

miglia at nserv.icmat.mlib.cnr.it miglia at nserv.icmat.mlib.cnr.it
Wed Jan 8 11:35:53 EST 1997

On 1.8.1997 John Turner wrote:

<Dear Fernando

<Regarding growth of Arabidopsis. Our growth cabinets do
malfunction all too
<regularly, and our plants happily survive extremes of 4 to 37
centigrade.
<Arabidopsis also grows outside in this country, on paths and
in hedgerows,
<presumably surviving the wide range of light and temperature
that our
<"summers" provide. My bet is that it will grow outside in
most places.
<John

<John G. Turner
<School of Biological Sciences
<University of East Anglia
<Norwich NR4 7TJ
<England

Dear John,

I am amazed to know that in England arabidopsis is a summer
plant. here in
Italy it grows, out of the mediterranean areas, just from
October to March.
It spends the winter as a rosette and then flowers briefly in
early spring.
You newer see it in the open on the summer. This is in line
with the optimum
of temperature that lies between +4 and +22 and with the
long-day photoperiod.

Fernando

 *  Dr.Fernando Migliaccio                             *
 *  IBEV Institute/Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche  *
 *  00016 Monterotondo (Rome) Italy                    *
 *  Voice: ++39 6 90672530;  Fax: ++39 6 9064492       *
 *  E-mail: miglia at nserv.icmat.mlib.cnr.it             *