SEM protocols

Chris Tissier ctissier at ag.Arizona.EDU
Mon Jul 21 11:13:33 EST 1997

Hi everyone,

I asked a while ago for some fixation protocols for SEM in order to have a
look at flower structures etc. Thanks to those who answered. I have been
asked by some of you to forward the answers, here we go.
You can  another protocol on E.Meyerowitz's lab webpage :
http://www.caltech.edu/~meyerowitz/protocols/sem.html

These protocols often use phosphate or PIPES buffers for gluteraldehyde
solutions. Our SEM people down here advised me to use sterile distilled
water instead which seems to work as well and don't see the use of a
exposure of the tissues to OsO4 for more than an hour or two especially
when looking at the tissues under high magnification.
I still haven't done any of this work yet and have no expertise to say
that those advises and good or crap, however if some of you have an
opinion in those matters they are more than welcome to share them and lit
those dark corners of uncertainty with the bright light of their wisdom.

Have a nice WE... well week!

Chris

Christophe Tissier
University of Arizona
Forbes Building 303
TUCSON, AZ 85721
USA

tel (1) 520.621.9701 fax (1) 520.621.7186

        Men are more ready to offend one who desires to be beloved than
one who wishes to be feared.
        -Machiavelli

        the surest way to corrupt a young man is to teach him to esteem
more highly those who think alike than those who think differently.
        -Nietzsche

        Civilized man's brain is a museum of contradictory truths.
        -Gourmont