postdoctoral position

George Haughn haughn at unixg.ubc.ca
Sat Jun 14 11:13:40 EST 1997

POST-DOCTORAL POSITION IN PLANT MOLECULAR GENETICS
University of British Columbia, Department of Botany
Vancouver, B.C.

        A post-doctoral position is available for a well trained, highly
motivated and enthusiastic individual to study BEL1,  an Arabidopsis
homeobox gene controlling ovule morphogenesis, and other members of the
BEL1-like homeobox gene sub-family (see Reiser et al., 1995 Cell 83:
735-742).  Our recent results  indicate that the BEL-like homeodomain
proteins heterodimerize with homeodomain proteins from the Knotted-like
sub-class  (Reviewed in Hake et al.,1995, Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond., B,
Biol. Sci. 350: 45).  Since both BEL-like and KNAT  homeodomain proteins are
involved in development and  heterodimeric homeodomain proteins are known to
control developmental decisions in other organisms (eg yeast MAT a1/MAT
alpha2) we believe the BEL-KNAT interactions to be of considerable
significance to plant development.   We are interested in determining the
nature, extent and role of these interactions.  Additional information
concerning the laboratory, and our department can be found at our Web site
(under construction): http://bc-education.botany.ubc.ca/haughn/index.htm.
        The applicant must have expertise in molecular biological techniques.
Experience with plant development, Arabidopsis, yeast, production and
analysis of transgenic plants and/or genetics analysis would be highly
desirable.  The position is available immediately for an initial period of 1
year,  with a  possibility for extension subject to satisfactory performance
and availability of resources. If interested, please send a cover letter
outlining research experience and interests, a curriculum vitae, and the
names and phone numbers of 3 referees as soon as possible to George Haughn,
Department of Botany, University of British Columbia, 6270 University Blvd.,
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4, Canada; TEL (604) 822-9089, FAX (604) 822-6089;
E-mail haughn at unixg.ubc.ca.

George Haughn,  Associate Professor
Botany Department,  University of British Columbia
E-mail haughn at unixg.ubc.ca