germination and mannose

Tobias Baskin baskin at biosci.mbp.missouri.edu
Thu Mar 13 19:04:23 EST 1997

Greetings,
          Does mannose inhibit germination? In arabidopsis? In another
plant? We plated some arabidopsis on our usual nutrient medium with mannose
replacing the sucrose and after 10 days only a few percent of seeds had
germinated (and then only barely). Controls on sucrose were lovely. I am
wondering, is this effect of mannose "well known" to germination
afficianados? Or should I suspect the mannose was contaminated with, say,
arsenic?
        Thanks in advance for any info.

        Tobias Baskin

      _      ____   ^      __   ____   Tobias I. Baskin
     /  \   /      / \    /   \ \            University ofMissouri
    /   |  /      /   \   \      \              BiologicalSciences
   /___/  /__    /___  \   \      \__            109 Tucker Hall
  /      /      /       \   \      \            Columbia, MO 65211 USA
 /      /      /         \   \      \          voice: 573-882-0173
/      /____  /           \   \__/   \____ fax: 573-882-0123