Best herbicide marker for lots of transformants?

Alex Brands abbrands at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Nov 13 00:49:12 EST 1997

Hello all,

My colleague and I are planning to create a collection of insertion
mutants (in Arabidopsis), and we are wondering which marker would be the
best for selecting transformants.  We would like to isolate as many
independent transformants as possible, so we will be going through a lot
of seeds.

I have been told that Kan resistance may not be a good choice because if
you put too many seeds on a Kan plate, they will all germinate
(transformants + nontransformants).  Is this not a problem with all
herbicides?

So, which marker would be the best for our purposes?

Thanks for any input!

Alex