lab tech position (preferably outside the U.S.)

Sara Hashway shashway at email.unc.edu
Fri Nov 21 21:20:32 EST 1997

Dear Arabinetters!
      I am a senior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
currently working in Jeff Dangl's lab.  I have been working with a PhD
student, Jean Benoit Morel, since the summer of 1996.  We are focused on
the mapping and characterization of phx1, which is a mutant produced by
fast-neutron mutagenesis of lsd5, itself a mutant in the cell death
pathway of _Arabidopsis_thaliana_ .  I am now earning university honors
credit for my work in the lab, and will be presenting the results of our
research involving phx1 in an honors thesis paper in the spring.
      Since I will graduate in May with a Bachelor of Science degree in
Biology, I am seeking a position in a research lab, preferably outside the
U.S.  I am sure that working in another country will expose me to things
that I could not experience here.
     I have taken classes in genetics, cellular biology, analytical
chemistry, physics, and ecology.  I have also taken more advanced classes
in physiology and organic chemistry.  I am currently studying microbiology
and biochemistry.  I have  had five years of training in Spanish
throughout high school and college.   Overall, my grade point average in
all of my classes is 3.6 out of 4.0.
    I have experience with PCR, DNA and RNA extraction, gel
electrophoresis, blotting techniques, sowing and harvesting of
Arabidopsis, media preparation, seed sterilization, bacterial culturing
and inoculation, and transformation.  I am a quick learner, and am
definitely interested in learning any new techniques I can.
     If you have any  opportunities for me, please send an e-mail to
shashway at email.unc.edu.  I would be happy to supply a copy of my
transcript and my CV.  If you would like a recommendation, please contact
Jeff Dangl at dangl at email.unc.edu.  Thank you for your consideration.  I
look forward to hearing from you.

Sara Hashway
shashway at email.unc.edu