undergrad lab in subcellular fractionation??

Dan Riggs riggs at scar.utoronto.ca
Wed Oct 1 11:45:25 EST 1997

Dear Netters:

I am looking for advice on mounting an undergraduate lab in
subcellular fractionation.  What I would like is a protocol where
students actually get to do the experiment as opposed to the TA
showing them how to make a Percoll gradient and use a preparative
centrifuge. I suspect that one might use a speed controled microfuge
and perform small scale separations with spinach homogenates, etc. We
really only need to get a few fractions to illustrate differences (by
SDS PAGE or marker enzyme assay) between a whole cell extract,
nuclear, and chloroplast, etc. compartments.  Any ideas for hands-on,
inexpensive experiments would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan Riggs