PhD in Molecular Cell Biology

MOORE ian.moore at plant-sciences.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Oct 21 12:38:16 EST 1997

Molecular Cell Biology of the Arabidopsis Secretory Pathway.

Post to be filled by 1 May 1997

A BBSRC Special Studentship is available immediately to use novel gene
expression and insertional mutagenesis technologies to study the
organisation of the plant endomembrane system.  Work focusses on
ras-related GTPases of the Rab family that are hypothesised to regulate
membrane traffic in plant cells.  The Golgi apparatus is responsible for
the synthesis and deposition of the major components of the plant
extracellular matrix, but little is known about the mechanisms that
control the delivery of secretory material to the cell surface. The
objective of this project is to dissect the vesicle trafficking pathways
that connect the plant Golgi and plasma membrane.  The experimental
approach is to inhibit specific vesicle transport steps by expression of
dominant-negative Rab GTPase mutants in transgenic Arabidopsis and by
isolation of Arabidopsis mutants with null alleles at Rab loci.

Applicants should have a first or upper second class degree and should
submit a C.V. with names and contact addresses of three referees to Dr.
Ian Moore. Please note that to qualify for BBSRC support, applicants
must be UK citizens or have a "relevant connection" to the UK.

1. Moore I., Galweiler L., Grosskopf D., Schell J. and Palme K.  A
transcription activation system for regulated gene expresson in
transgenic plants. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. (in press).

2. Moore I., Diefenthal T., Zarsky V., Schell J. and Palme K. (1997) A
homolog of the mammalian GTPase Rab2 is present in Arabidopsis and is
expressed predominantly in pollen grains and seedlings. Proc. Natl.
Acad. Sci.USA., 94, 762-767.

3. Moore I., Schell J. and Palme K. (1995) Subclass specific protein
sequence motifs identified in Rab GTPases. Trends in Biochemical
Sciences, 20, 10-12.

4. Palme K., Diefenthal T., and Moore I. (1993) The ypt gene family from
maize and Arabidopsis: structural and functional analysis. Journal of
Experimental Botany, 44, sup. 183-195.