Position in plant molecular genetics

Renate Schmidt rschmidt at willow.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de
Thu Sep 18 10:44:26 EST 1997

Position in plant molecular genetics

The Max-Delbrueck-Laboratory in Cologne seeks a PhD student or postdoctoral
fellow to investigate mechanisms of gene silencing. We are taking a
molecular genetic approach to study gene silencing of transgenes in
Arabidopsis thaliana. In particular we are interested to elucidate the role
of heterochromatin in this process.

The work involves the analysis of transgenic plants, mutant screens and
mutant analyses. A training in molecular biological techniques is required.
Experience in plant genetics or plant tissue culture is not essential. The
successful candidate will join a research group with a strong interest in
the organization and function of plant genomes. She / he will benefit from
the extensive coverage of plant molecular biological research on the campus
of the Max-Planck-Institute in Cologne.

The position for a PhD student / postdoctoral fellow which can be funded
for up to three years is available from January 1998. This particular
fellowship is not available for german citizens. Knowledge of German is not
essential, but it is expected that candidates will learn some German within
the first year.

Interested scientists should send a CV, a short statement of research
interests and a list of personal references before October 15, 1997.
Further inquiries can be directed via E-mail to Renate Schmidt
(rschmidt at mpiz-koeln.mpg.de).

Max-Delbrueck-Laboratorium in der MPG
Carl-von-Linne-Weg 10
50829 Koeln