Sucrose sensing question!

Lorine S Horvath lhorvath at plains.NoDak.edu
Mon Apr 6 12:52:09 EST 1998

I am working on a system where there is a signal generated by the leaves
of the plant which acts to maintain dormancy of underground adventitious
shoot buds (UASBs).  I suspect the signal is sucrose (blocking
photosynthesis, carbon fixation, or phloem transport results in UASB
growth). Given recent findings on sucrose sensing through hexokinase, my
hypothesis is that sucrose from the leaves makes it's way to the UASBs, is
converted to fructose and glucose, and is phosphorylated by hexokinase
(thus reducing the amount of HKP and preventing HKP from initiating a
signal transduction cascade leading to initiation of cell growth and
division?).  My questions are:

Are there any good inhibitors/competitors of sucrose transport from the
phloem to sink or of the enzymes that predominantly convert sucrose to
it's hexose componants?

Does anyone know how well 2-dGlc is transported into plant cells? I don't
have a good tissue culture system and have to work with whole plants.
I may have to add it either through the leaves or directly submerge
or water the roots with it.

Are there any other problems I am likely to face that I seem unaware of or
are there any obvious solutions that I am missing?

Any help or comments are appreciated.  Thanks!

Dave Horvath
USDA/ARS/BRL
Fargo, ND