dying plants

Mark Hooks m.hooks at bio.gla.ac.uk
Fri Aug 21 11:10:37 EST 1998

We have been hit with something that is killing our plants.  It appeared to
start in one part of our growth room and spread to the rest.  Now it affects
every plant that we put into the growth room.  The major symptom is a
browning and wilting of the leaves that starts at the tip and eventually
engulfs the whole leaf.  The tops of bolts are similarly affected.  The end
results is a brown dead plant.  Our only idea is that it may be some type of
fungal infection, since some spores are visible under the microscope.
However, we're not sure if this could just be a secondary infection arising
on already dead tissue.  Has anyone experienced a similar problem and found
a way to deal with it?  We would appreciate any help.

Mark

Mark A. Hooks, Ph.D.
Division of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
I.B.L.S., Bower Bldg.
University of Glasgow
Glasgow G12 8QQ Scotland
United Kingdom