Arabidopsis cv. Columbia vs. Landsberg erecta transformation

Ivan J Delgado Orlic delgadoi at pilot.msu.edu
Mon Aug 31 14:53:12 EST 1998

Dear All,
	I transformed Arabidopsis cv. Columbia and Landsberg erecta plants,
both with
two different Kanamycin constructs. During selection in plates containing 50
ug/mL Kanamycin, I got the expected results for Columbia: almost all the seeds
either did not germinate or died shortly after germination, leaving few green
seedlings left -putative transformants. BUT, in the case of the Landsberg
erecta "transformed" seeds, almost all of them germinated and a good portion
of the seedlings (from a quarter to 100%) remain green after 2 weeks (the same
amount of time needed for wildtype Columbia seedlings to be completely dead in
the presence of Kan). It's as if all of them had been tranformed, an
obvious impossibility.
	Has anybody seen this before?. Does L. erecta require higher
concentrations
of Kan during selection?. Any help would be appreciated.
	Ivan

Ivan J Delgado Orlic                        Lab: 517-353-3519
MSU-DOE Plant Research Laboratory           delgadoi at pilot.msu.edu
East Lansing, MI  48824-1312                http://www.msu.edu/user/delgadoi