Postdoc Position - Pollen Kinases

Sheila McCormick sheilamc at nature.berkeley.edu
Thu Dec 10 14:41:58 EST 1998

Postdoc Position-Pollen kinases, Plant Gene Expression Center, UC-Berkeley,
Albany, CA
We have isolated and characterized 3 pollen-specific receptor-like kinases
from tomato. For more details, see Muschietti, Eyal and McCormick (1998),
ìPollen tube localization implies a role in pollen-pistil interactions for
the tomato receptor-like protein kinases LePRK1 and LePRK2", Plant Cell
10:319-330. We have cloned homologs of each kinase from several other
Solanaceae species and have transgenic plants available for functional
analyses. We also have pollen specific RLKs cloned from corn and from
Arabidopsis. The postdoctoral fellow would carry out experiments towards
deducing the function(s) of the kinases and towards isolating and
characterizing their ligand(s), using, for example, yeast 2-hybrid screens.
Training in biochemistry/molecular biology is required; prior experience
with reproductive biology and/or kinases is a plus, but prior experience
with plants is not necessary. Funding is available for at least 2 years,
but the potential for obtaining partial salary support via fellowship
applications will be considered in applicant selection. Position available
as soon as March 1, 1999 although a later start date can be negotiated;
open until filled. For consideration send a CV, a short statement of
research interests and the names and e-mail addresses and/or phone numbers
of 3 references to: sheilamc at nature.berkeley.edu or to Sheila McCormick,
Plant Gene Expression Center, 800 Buchanan St., Albany, CA 94710; FAX
(510)-559-5678
For more information about the lab, see
http://mollie.berkeley.edu/Faculty/faculty_members/McCormick.html