Is NOS-pro-NPTII-NOS-ter expressed in E. coli

hfu at facstaff.wisc.edu hfu at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Feb 20 18:58:45 EST 1998

Dear Colleagues,
        I posted a question a while ago:
"Does anyone know if the KAN  expression cassette (NOS-pro-NPTII-NOS-ter,
in many Bin19 derived vectors) expressed in E. coli?"
        I tested E. coli carrying this KAN cassette, colonies were formed
at KAN conc. below 30ug.mL.  So the cassette could express in E. coli.

        Hongyong

Some responses are posted below (thank you for the clues):
1)
I believe it does. I think there is a paper by Asaad and Signer in Mol. Gen.
Genet. some time in 1989 or 1990 on this.

Animesh Ray
Associate Professor                       Email: ray at ar.biology.rochester.edu
Dept. of Biology, Box 270211
Univ. of Rochester                         Phone:(716)275-8986
Rochester, NY 14627                         FAX:(716)275-2070

2)
This construct should not be expressed in prokaryotes becase the promoter
and terminator are supposed to be for eukaryotes.  Do you have evidence to
the contrary?
Estelle M. Hrabak
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Plant Biology
University of New Hampshire
Durham, NH   03824
(603) 862-0716
FAX: (603) 862-3784

3)
I think most people find that it is.  Just streak some out on Kan and
you'll find out!

Anne Britt
Assistant Professor
Section of Plant Biology