On phytagel

Tobias Baskin baskin at biosci.mbp.missouri.edu
Fri Feb 20 18:59:37 EST 1998

Netters,
        Not directly related to kanamycin, we have recently been done some
work where we compared daily root growth rate on plates made either with
DIFCO bacto agar or Phytagel (from Sigma). We found that whereas the
results with the agar were highly reproducible, the phytagel gave variable
results from one experiment to the next. We then found that temperature has
a large effect on the phytagel: we took media out of the autoclave and and
held it at different temperatures, then poured plates, and we got different
root growth rates. This suggests that the exact way in which the phytagel
was handled has significant consequences, for example, in a kan experiment.
        Thought this cautionary tale might be of interest.
        Tobias

      _      ____   ^      __   ____   Tobias I. Baskin
     /  \   /      / \    /   \ \            University ofMissouri
    /   |  /      /   \   \      \              BiologicalSciences
   /___/  /__    /___  \   \      \__            109 Tucker Hall
  /      /      /       \   \      \            Columbia, MO 65211-7400 USA
 /      /      /         \   \      \          voice: 573-882-0173
/      /____  /           \   \__/   \____ fax: 573-882-0123