NYA Plant Molecular Biology Meeting - Final Program

daemon at net.bio.net daemon at net.bio.net
Fri Jan 2 18:30:08 EST 1998

Dear Arabinetters,

The following meeting announcement is being sent to the Arabidopsis
newsgroup to reach people who may be interested in attending but are not on
our mailing list. Please note that the meeting is still open for registratio=
n.

New York Area Plant Molecular Biology Meeting 1998 - Final Program

The 1998 NYAPMB meeting will be held on Saturday, January 17, 1998 in New
York City and consist of the following four sessions:

-       Developmental and Cell Biology
-       Mechanisms of Gene Expression
-       Plant-Pathogen and Symbiont Interactions
-       Biochemical Genetics

The final program encompasses 19 oral presentations from 17 laboratories
covering a wide variety of research topics.  A copy of the program is pasted
to the bottom of this announcement.  The program and the abstracts of the
talks can be viewed by accessing the following web site:

http://chem.lehman.cuny.edu/abc/wurtzel/spidabs.html

This web site also provides links to the homepages of participating labs and
institutions.  If your lab is not currently listed, please provide Paul
Matthews at Lehman College with the URL, and he'll be happy to link your
homepage to the NYAPMB Meeting page.  Paul's e-mail address is
paulm at bio18.lehman.cuny.edu

Individuals who have not yet registered for the meeting are strongly
encouraged to do so ASAP using the preregistration form below (please return
the form to me via e-mail).  We need a reasonably accurate estimate of the
number of participants for lunch arrangements etc.  The registration fee for
the meeting is $25 to cover expenses for service personnel, coffee and lunch
breaks, and rental of the meeting room.  Please pay this fee in cash during
the registration period on the day of the meeting.

The NYAPMB meeting will be held in Room 200 of the Cantor Film Center
(Northeast corner of 8th Street and University Place right next to the NYU
campus at Washington Square).  A detailed map of the area including
information on parking garages and subway stations will be sent this weekend
to all labs for which preregistration information is available.  Late
registrants who are unfamiliar with the area can get a copy from me via FAX.

By subway, nearest stops are the Astor Place / 8th Street stops on the 4,5,6
subways (east side of Manhattan), Broadway & 8th St. on the N and R lines,
and West 4th St. & 6th Ave. on the A,C,E lines.

Note to PIs:
Please forward this meeting announcement to all members of your lab.  Anyone
who wishes to be added to our mailing list should let me know by sending a
brief e-mail message or returning the preregistration form. Thanks!

We are looking forward to a productive and enjoyable meeting!

Wolf-Dieter Reiter
University of Connecticut
75 North Eagleville Road
Storrs, CT 06269-3125
Tel.: (860) 486-5733
=46AX: (860) 486-4331
E-mail: wdreiter at uconnvm.uconn.edu

----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
----
Preregistration Form - New York Area Plant Molecular Biology Meeting 1998

Name:
Position:
Institution:
Department:
Street address:
City, State, Zip-Code:
Phone:
=46AX:
E-mail:
PI of laboratory:

Do you wish your name to be added to our mailing list?

Do you wish your name to be removed from our mailing list?

Do you plan to attend the meeting?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
----
NEW YORK AREA PLANT MOLECULAR BIOLOGY MEETING
Saturday, January 17, 1998, Room 200, Cantor Film Center
(Corner of 8th Street and University Place)

Registration:                                          8:30 am - 9:00 am

Session I: Developmental and Cell Biology              9:00 am - 10:40 am
Chair: Lawrence Hobbie

Marie McGovern, Adelphi University (Hobbie lab):
Early developmental defects in the auxin-resistant axr6 mutants

Timothy Short, Queens College:
Phytochromes and other environmental cues interact to affect anthocyanin
production

Jocelyn Malamy, New York University (Benfey lab):
Genetic regulation of root architecture

James Moore, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (Grossniklaus lab):
Characterization of female gametophyte lethality among transposon insertion
mutants in Arabidopsis

Pierre Hilson, University of Wisconsin - Madison (Masson lab):
Cloning and characterization of the AGR1 gene required for gravitropism in
Arabidopsis thaliana

Coffee Break:                                     10:40 am - 11:00 am

Session II: Mechanisms of Gene Expression         11:00 am - 12:20 pm
Chair: Pal Maliga

Katalin Hudak, Rutgers University (Tumer lab):
Pokeweed antiviral protein specifically inhibits Ty1 directed +1 ribosomal
frameshifting and
retrotransposition in Saccharomyces cerevisiae

Priya Sriraman, Rutgers University (Maliga lab):
In vivo characterization of a promoter for the nucleus encoded plastid RNA
polymerase

Lay-Hong Ang, Yale University (Deng lab):
Charting the network for light control of Arabidopsis seedling development

Theresa Hill, Yale University (Irish lab):
Discrete spatial and temporal cis-acting elements regulate transcription of
the Arabidopsis floral
homeotic gene APETALA3

Lunch (Violet Caf=E9):                                   12:20 pm - 1:40 pm

Session III: Plant-Pathogen and Symbiont Interactions:  1:40 pm - 3:50 pm
Chair: Daniel Gage

Daniel Gage, University of Connecticut:
Use of GFP-tagged Rhizobium meliloti to follow infection during the early
stages of symbiotic
nodulation.

Jyoti Shah, Rutgers University (Klessig lab):
Genetic analysis of the salicylic acid signal transduction pathway in
Arabidopsis thaliana

Herman Silva, Rutgers University (Klessig lab):
Characterization of cep, a novel mutant locus in Arabidopsis leading to
enhanced disease resistance

Dominique Pontier, Rutgers University (Lam lab):
Mode of action for disease resistance induction via transgenic expression of
bacterioopsin

Lynne Reuber, Massachusetts General Hospital (Ausubel lab):
Molecular and genetic analysis of defense against a fungal pathogen in
Arabidopsis

Georg Jander, Massachusetts General Hospital (Ausubel lab):
Arabidopsis defense against two insect herbivores

Coffee Break:                                     3:50 pm - 4:10 pm

Session IV: Biochemical Genetics                  4:10 pm - 5:30 pm
Chair: Wolf-Dieter Reiter

Ming Yang, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (Ma lab):
Arabidopsis SKP1-LIKE1 is essential for male homologous chromosome segregati=
on

Ming-Hsiun Hsieh, New York University (Coruzzi lab):
Metabolic regulation of asparagine synthetase genes and a putative nitrogen
sensor in Arabidopsis

Scot Magnotta, University of Connecticut (Gogarten lab):
Genetic analysis of vacuolar type H+-ATPase subunit A and B isoforms in
Arabidopsis thaliana

Susannah Gal, SUNY-Binghamton:
The aspartic proteinases in Arabidopsis

Business Discussion:                               5:30 pm - 5:50 pm