Postdoctoral Position

Tom McKnight mcknight at bio.tamu.edu
Mon Jan 19 18:15:59 EST 1998

A postdoctoral position is available to study telomere synthesis by
telomerase in Arabidopsis.  We have recently developed an in vitro assay to
detect telomerase activity in plants and have shown that enzyme expression
is highly regulated and strongly correlated with proliferation capacity as
it is in human cells (Fitzgerald et al., 1996 PNAS 93; 14422-27).
Currently, we are taking both biochemical and molecular biological
approaches to clone the genes for telomerase subunits and examine their
function in Arabidopsis.

Postdoctoral candidates should have a strong background in plant molecular
biology or biochemistry.  Familiarity with Arabiopsis genetics and/or FISH
techniques would be an advantage.

Send curriculum vitae, reprints, a letter outlining research interests, and
arrange to have three letters of reference sent to:

Dorothy Shippen
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843