RI vs. DH population

Brian Nguyen bnguyen at ps.com
Thu Jul 2 14:38:52 EST 1998

Dear All,

If you had to map two tightly linked loci (less than 0.1 map units
apart)and had both  recombinant inbred (RI) and doubled haploid (DH)
populations of the same size at your disposal, would there be an
advantage of using one over the other?  I believe that if the size of
both mapping populations is the SAME, then the RI lines would be better
suited for this task.  This is because a greater number of meioses have
occured in this population thereby increasing the chance of recovering a
recombinational event between the two tightly linked loci. My colleagues
believe that this is not a valid point and there is no advantage of
using one over the other for this task.

Please post all responses on this NG

Cheers!

Brian