Postdoctoral position available

Sarah Grant sgrant at email.unc.edu
Tue Jul 14 18:23:53 EST 1998

POSTDOCTORAL POSITION AVAILABLE

With: Dr. Sarah Grant
Dept. of Biology
Chapel Hill, NC. 27599-3280 USA
email: sgrant at email.unc.edu

We are looking for a qualified scientist to join our investigations of the
mechanism of gene silencing. We are cloning two genes that enhance
post-transcriptional transgene silencing in Arabidopsis, egs1 and egs2
(described in Dehio and Schell 1994. PNAS 91: 5538-5542) by position. In
addition, we have designed novel screening methods to identify additional
Arabidopsis genes involved gene silencing. We have designed a screen to
focus on mutants that affect viral induced gene silencing which we plan to
start as soon as possible. Gene silencing receives increasing attention as
it is seen in more organisms. It has now been described in almost all
species that can be transformed. Our goal is to learn about the gene
regulatory mechanism responsible for gene silencing and to learn its normal
function in the host. Applicants must have a doctoral degree and experience
in molecular biology and genetics. Please send curriculum vitae and the
names and addresses of three references to the address above. The Dept. of
Biology at the University of North Carolina offers a vibrant research
atmosphere with excellent laboratory conditions. University of North
Carolina is an equal opportunity employer.

Sarah Grant
Coker Hall CB#3280
Department of Biology
University of North Carolina