Arabidopsis transformation question

Matej Lexa nomenia at www10.clever.net
Wed Jul 15 19:44:42 EST 1998

Upon vacuum infiltration of Arabidopsis and selection on
kanamycin-containing medium of the produced seed I observe seedlings
that seem fully resistant to kanamycin at first, they produce one pair
of true leaves, but upon closer observation the edges of the leaves are
chlorotic. Would this be a common
observation (alternatively, it could be related to the gene I am
introducing, or perhaps my technique)? If it is common, what would be
the reason? Does the insert end up in an area of the genome that gets
shut down beyond the young seedling stage?

Matej Lexa
m-lexa at uiuc.edu