Genetic Variation Among Ecotypes

daemon at net.bio.net daemon at net.bio.net
Mon Jul 20 11:30:39 EST 1998

We are beginning an experiment to examine genetic variation
among a large sample of Arabidopsis ecotypes, and we
welcome input from other researchers.

=46irst, we will determine AFLP genotypes for about 150
ecotypes.  Second, we will use this information to
eliminate genetically similar ecotypes, leading to a subset
of about 50 ecotypes that will hopefully encompass most of
the genetic variation present within Arabidopsis thaliana.
=46inally, this "reference set" will be genotyped for
additional markers.  We hope these ecotypes will be useful
for future screens of phenotypic and genetic variation in
many traits.  In addition, these data can contribute to
population and evolutionary genetic analyses, such as the
association and disequilibrium mapping methods being used
in human genetics.  All data from this study will be
available on the net.

To be useful for the Arabidopsis research community, we
need to sample diverse ecotypes representing the full range
of variation within the species.  Ecotypes planned for
inclusion in this experiment are listed below.  We welcome
suggestions (and seeds) for additional ecotypes to be
included in this experiment.  We are especially interested
in commonly used ecotypes that are missing from our list,
or ecotypes that may be unique due to geographic origin or
other characteristics.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Thomas Mitchell-Olds

Aa-0		Aua/Rhon, Germany
Abd-0	Kingswells, Aberdeen (UK)
Ag-0		Argentat (France)
Ak-1		Achkarren/Freiburg (Germany); variation in height
An-1		Antwerpen (Belgium)
Ba-1		Blackmount (U.K.); leaves sinuated, small siliques
Bch-1	Buchen/Lauenburg (Germany)
Bch-3	Buchen/Lauenburg (Germany); leaves narrower than Bch-1
Be-0		Bensheim/Bergstr. (Germany)
Bl-1		Bologna, Italy
Bla-10	Blanes/Gerona, Spain
Bs-1		Basel, Switzerland
Bsch-0	Buchschlag/FFM (Germany)
Bur-0	Burren (Eire); small, yellow green rosette
Ca-0		Camberg/Taunus (Germany); leaves more pubescent than normal
Cal-0	Calver, UK
Can-0	Canary Islands, numerous rosettes along stems, possibly late flowering
Cha-0	Champex (Switzerland); large rosette
Cha-1	Valais (Switzerland); large, dark green rosette
Ci-0		U.K. (from SENDAI Seed Stock Centre, Japan)
Cnt-1	Canterbury (U.K.)
Co-1		Coimbra (Portugal); small leaves
Col		Mutant; FAH1 / ferulate-5-hydroxylase
Col-0	Columbia wild type
Condara	Tadjikistan
Cvi-0	Cape Verdi Islands; small, light green rosette
Da(1)-12	Czechoslovakia, vernalization improves germination
Da-0		Darmstadt (Germany)
Db-1		Tenne/Ts. (Germany); larger leaves than Db-0
Db-2		Dombachtal/Ts. (Germany); larger leaves than Db-0, numerous
axillary
inflorescence
Di-2		Dijon (France); somewhat early flowering
Di-g		Dijon (France)
Edi-0	Edinburgh (GB); variation in flowering time
Ei-2		Eifel (Germany)
Ema-1	East Malling (U.K.); large rosettes, large wide round leaves
En-1		Enkheim/Frankfurt (Germany); long hypocotyl, narrow leaves
Enkheim-T	Tadjikistan derivative of En-1 (En-T)
En-T		Enkheim, Tadjikistan
Ep-0		Eppenheim/Taunus (Germany); small leaves
Er-0		Erlangen (Germany); small narrow, somewhat concave leaves
Es-0		Espoo, Finland
Est		Estland (Germany); glabrous; background of some mutants
Et-0		Etraygues (France)
=46r-2		Frankfurt (Germany)
Ga-0		Gabelstein (Germany); small narrow leaves
Gd-1		Gudow (Germany); early flowering
Ge-0		Geneve (Switzerland), late flowering
Gie-0	Gieben (Germany); small leaves
Gr-1		Graz (Austria)
Gy-0		La Miniere (France); narrow leaves
H55		Czechoslovakia; multiple flowering stem
Ha-0		Hannover (Germany); numerous axillary inflorescences
Hl-3		Holtensen (Germany); numerous axillary inflorescences
Hodja	Hodja-Obi-Garm, Tadjikistan
Ita-0	Ibel Tazekka, Marocco
Je-0		Jena (Germany); long narrow leaves, numerous long lateral
branches
Jl-3		Vranov u Brna (Czechoslovakia); early flowering,
Jl-3		Vranov u Brna (Czechoslovakia); early flowering,
Jm-0		Jamolice (Czechoslovakia); lateral branches, early flowering
Ka-0		Karnten (Austria), variation in flowering time
Kas-0	Kashmir, India; dark green rosette
Kas-1	Kashmir (India); light green plant
Kb-0		Kronberg/Taunus (Germany); numerous axillary inflorescences
Kil-0	Killean, UK
Kin-0	Kendalville wildtype
Kl-5		Koeln (Germany);small rosette with small leaves, early
flowering
Kun-1	Kunitz - Jena, Germany collected by J. Bishop fall 1997
KZ 2		Kazahkstan
Ler		tt-5 mutant; deficient chalcone isomerase activity, reduced
flavonoid
content.
Ler-0	Landsberg wild type
Li-5		Limburg (Germany); large leaves, numerous axillary
inflorescences
Lip-0	Lipowiec/Chrzanow (Poland); large leaves
Lm-2		Le Mans (France); large leaves
Ma-0		Marburg/Lahn (Germany)
Mh-0		M=9Fhlen (Muhlen) Poland
Mr-0		Monte/Tosso (Italy); large rosette, late flowering
Mrk-0	Markt/Baden (Germany)
Ms-0		Moscow (Russia)
Mt-0		Martuba, Libya
Mv-0		Martha's Vineyard MA (USA); late flowering, variability in
flowering
time
Nd-0		Niederzenz, Germany
No-0		Nossen, Germany
NP-0		Nieps/Salzwedel, Germany
NW-4		Neuweilnau, Germany
Ob-0		Oberursel/Hasen (Germany)
Ob-2		Oberursel/Friedhof (Germany); long petioles, numerous
lateral branches
Or-0		Oranienstein (Germany); small rosette
Oy-0		Oystese, Norway
Oy-1		Oystese (Norway); large rosettes
Pa-1		Palermo (Italy); broad leaves
Per-1 	Perm-1 Russia
Petergof	Petergof (Russia)
Pi-0 	Pitztal/Tirol; large rosette
Pla-0	Playa de Aro (Spain); large rosette, narrow leaves
Pog-0	Point Grey, BC, Canada
PU-2		Kazahkstan
Rd-0		Rodenbach/Dill (Germany
Rsch-0	Rschew/Starize (Russia); single flowering stem
Rubezhnoe-1	Rubezhnoe (Ukraine)
Sav-0	Slavice (Czechoslovakia); early flowering
Sei-0 	Seis am Schlern (Italy); early flowering
Shahdara	Shahdara / Pamiro-Alay, Tadjikistan
Sorbo 	Tadjikistan
Ste-0	Stendal (Germany)
Su-0		Southport, UK
Ta-0		Tabor (Czechoslovakia); early rosette have dense centers
Tac		Tacoma, Washington
Tsu-1	Tsu (Japan); large rosettes
Tu-1		Turin (Italy)
Uk-4		Umkirch (Germany)
Wei-0	Weiningen (Switzerland)
WIL-2	Wilna/Litvanian, USSR
Wl-0		Wildbad (Germany)
Ws-0		Wassilewskija (Russia)
Ws-3		Wassilewskija; somewhat early flowering
Wt-1		Wietze (Germany)
Yo-0		Yosemite/Nat. Park (CA, USA)
Zu-1		few leaves, early flowering

---

Thomas Mitchell-Olds,  Director
Max Planck Institute of Chemical Ecology
Tatzendpromenade 1a
07745 Jena
Germany

tmo at ice.mpg.de