GFP request

Ian Small small at versailles.inra.fr
Fri Jul 31 11:07:11 EST 1998

In article <6pl0s1$r23 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, Albert Ferrer
<aferrer at farmacia.far.ub.es> wrote:

> Dear netters,
>
> I am planning to utilize the green fluorescent protein (GFP) as a marker to
> investigate the ability of a peptide to target a passenger protein to
> Arabidopsis mitochondria or chloroplasts "in vivo" (transgenic suspension
> cell cultures and transgenic plants). That's why I am interested in
> obtaining a plasmid containing a version of the GFP suitable for high
> levels of expression in Arabidopsis.
>
> Could anyone help me?

We're starting a systematic study of targeting of a bunch of proteins
using this approach (for some early results see FEBS Lett. 431:39-44),
except we use transient expression in tobacco protoplasts rather than
transgenic plants. The vector we have now has two or three unique
restriction sites between the 35S promoter and the GFP coding sequence to
allow directional cloning of putative targeting sequences in frame with
the GFP. We'll be testing this modified vector next week...

Ian Small                                            small at versailles.inra.fr
Station de Genetique et Amelioration des Plantes,
INRA, Versailles, France