postdoctoral position available

George Haughn haughn at unixg.ubc.ca
Thu Jun 11 10:32:48 EST 1998

POST-DOCTORAL POSITION IN PLANT MOLECULAR GENETICS
University of British Columbia, Department of Botany
Vancouver, B.C.

        A post-doctoral position is available for a well trained, highly
motivated and enthusiastic individual to study BEL1,  an Arabidopsis
homeobox gene controlling ovule morphogenesis, and other members of the
BEL1-like homeobox gene sub-family (see Reiser et al., 1995 Cell 83:
735-742).  Our recent results  indicate that the BEL-like homeodomain
proteins heterodimerize with homeodomain proteins from the Knotted-like
sub-class  (Reviewed in Hake et al.,1995, Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond., B,
Biol. Sci. 350: 45).  Since both BEL-like and KNAT  homeodomain proteins
are involved in development and  heterodimeric homeodomain proteins are
known to control developmental decisions in other organisms (eg yeast MAT
a1/MAT alpha2) we believe the BEL-KNAT interactions to be of considerable
significance to plant development.   We are interested in determining the
nature, extent and role of these interactions.  Additional information
concerning the laboratory, and our department can be found at our Web site
(under construction): http://bc-education.botany.ubc.ca/haughn/index.htm.
	The applicant must have expertise in molecular biological techniques.
Experience with plant development, Arabidopsis, yeast 2-hybrid analysis,
transgenic plants and/or reverse genetics in plants would be highly
desirable.  The position is available immediately for an initial period of
1 year,  with a  possibility of extension for up to three years subject to
satisfactory performance and availability of resources. If interested,
please send a cover letter outlining research experience and interests, a
curriculum vitae, and the names and phone numbers of 3 referees as soon as
possible to George Haughn, Department of Botany, University of British
Columbia, 6270 University Blvd., Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4, Canada; TEL (604)
822-9089, FAX (604) 822-6089; E-mail haughn at unixg.ubc.ca.  Individuals who
plan to attend the Arabidopsis meeting in Madison Wisconsin are encouraged
to contact Dr. Haughn there (leave message on the bulletin board).

George Haughn

George Haughn,  Associate Professor
Botany Department,  University of British Columbia
E-mail haughn at unixg.ubc.ca
<http://bc-education.botany.ubc.ca/Haughn/index.htm>