Postdoc opportunity

Mary Lou Guerinot Mary.Lou.Guerinot at Dartmouth.EDU
Sun Jun 21 13:12:41 EST 1998

<x-rich>POSTDOCTORAL POSITION

Dartmouth College

A postdoctoral research position is available immediately to study metal uptake
in Arabidopsis thaliana.  We have identified a novel family of metal
transporters from a diverse array of eukaryotes [see: Eide et al.  1996.  Proc.
Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.  93: 5624-5628; Grotz et al.  1998. Proc. Natl. Acad.
Sci. U.S.A.  95: 7220-7224]  Arabidopsis family members variously transport
iron, zinc and manganese when expressed in yeast.  In plants, three of the
family members, ZIP1, ZIP3 and ZIP4, are up-regulated by zinc deficiency and
one, IRT1, is up-regulated by iron deficiency. Projects currently underway
include 1) a structure/function analysis of the proteins encoded by the ZIP
gene family to identify regions of the protein responsible for substrate
specificity and affinity and 2) analysis of transgenic plants engineered to
overexpress and underexpress members of the ZIP gene family for alterations in
metal accumulation.  We now know that manipulation of transporter levels will
also require an understanding of post-transcriptional control of ZIP gene
expression.

A background in molecular biology and genetics is required.  If interested,
please contact Mary Lou Guerinot at the Wisconsin Arabidopsis or ASPP meetings.
Alternatively, send a letter of application, Curriculum vitae, reprints or
preprints and names, addresses and FAX numbers of 3 references to Dr. Mary Lou
Guerinot, Department of Biological Sciences, Dartmouth College, 6044 Gilman
Lab, Hanover, NH  03755-3576.  Telephone (603) 646-2527; FAX (603) 646-1347.
E-mail inquiries are also welcome.  Dartmouth College is an equal
opportunity/affirmative action employer.

A few words about Dartmouth:  Dartmouth is a small, Ivy League university with
an undergraduate body of about 4300 and a graduate and professional school
enrollment of approximately 850.  We offer Ph.D programs in all of the
Sciences; there is an extensive group whose research interests are focused on
cellular, molecular and developmental biology (see
http://www.dartmouth.edu/artsci/biochem/mcb/).  We are situated in Hanover, a
traditional New England town in the heart of winter skiing and summer lake
resort areas.  We are only a two hour drive from Boston and a three hour drive
from Montreal, providing ample opportunities for sampling big city life.

</x-rich>