Physiologically active intact chloroplasts

Steve Theg smtheg at ucdavis.edu
Wed Mar 4 20:12:59 EST 1998

<x-rich>

Hi,

Has anyone had any luck in isolating Arabidopsis chloroplasts that showed
reasonable physiolgical activity, i.e., good in vitro translation, good
carbon fixation rates, good protein import.  We are interested in the
latter, and while we isolate plenty of plastids, they don't import proteins
very well.  I have heard that other labs have had similar experiences.  I
would be very interested in trying to adapt any protocol that isolated
really metabolically active plastids to my own experiments.  Does such a
protocol exist?

Thanks.

Steve Theg

UC-Davis