Arabidopsis unigenes?

Nancy Terryn nater at gengenp.rug.ac.be
Thu Nov 12 11:54:19 EST 1998

Hello,

I wanted to ask something about Arabidopsis "unigenes". Off course our
databases are redundant, unique genes can be present as both genomic and
EST's for example. I thought of the unigenes as a hypothetical
collection of clones. But I know some groups have been trying to define
unigenes, like TIGR, where EST's are grouped. And I know that you can
order a "unigene collection" somewhere.
Could somebody enlighten me as to which parameters are being used to
define a unigene? When is a gene considered different from another (%
homology). If there is a site available or a database that would contain
such a collection I would be very grateful to know this....
Thanks,
Nancy Terryn
DEPARTMENT OF GENETICS                         Fax:32 (0)9 2645349
UNIVERSITY OF GENT, K. L. Ledeganckstraat 35, B-9000 Gent, Belgium
Vlaams Instituut voor Biotechnologie                           VIB
mailto:nater at gengenp.rug.ac.be    	   http://spider.rug.ac.be