Pollen viability

JOSHUA.STEIN at cereon.com JOSHUA.STEIN at cereon.com
Fri Nov 20 11:19:57 EST 1998

     Dear Arabidopsis Community,

     The City of Cambridge, MA wants to be assured that transgenic
     Arabidopsis pollen won't escape down a sink drain, pass through sewage
     treatment, and successfully pollinate a flower on the banks of the
     Charles River.  It is easy to tell them that pollen has a very short
     lifespan and that its viability in water is very low, but it would be
     nice to provide them with actual data.  Can anybody provide
     information relating to this issue or refer me to publications.  At a
     minimum I presume that someone out there knows how best to store
     Arabidopsis pollen in order to maintain viability and/or how long
     pollen remains viable in the absence of proper storage.  Thanks for
     your help.

     Sincerely,

     Joshua Stein
     joshua.stein at cereon.com