who discovered arabidopsis? Laibach and Redei or Langridge?

Weining, Song WeininS at prose.dpi.qld.gov.au
Fri Nov 20 11:15:50 EST 1998

Hi,
Who discovered arabidopsis?
As a 1st timer in this newsgroup, I hope my question is not too dumb.
In the mid-80s, I heard it was Dr Langridge, a geneticist? (I can't remember
his surname, but probably not Peter, his son, a plant molecular biologist)
who discovered arabidopsis as a model plant. In 96 or 97, I read an article
by Langridge (in Bioassay?) describing how he started the pioneering work on
this virtually unknown plant. (Langridge did his PhD on arabidopsis in the
50s at Adelaide Uni?) I can't remember much of the details now. It seems
this is Bioassay's acknowledgment that Langridge is the founding father of
the arabidopsis research, just as Ray Wu's contribution to DNA sequencing
(Wu also wrote an article in Bioassay talking about pre-Sanger sequencing),
although Sanger got Nobel prize later.
However, in the current issue of Science (282:662), Laibach and Redei were
quoted as the first to use Arabidopsis as a model genetic organism.
Can people in the know shed some light on my question, especially those
familiar with all three's work.
Thanks.
Song Weining, PhD
Molecular Biologist