who discovered arabidopsis? Laibach and Redei or Langridge?

taguebw at REMOVEwfu.edu taguebw at REMOVEwfu.edu
Fri Nov 20 16:12:39 EST 1998

In article <703F5DC6AC02D2119338006097A1716419FDDB at TBACRMEXH001>,
"Weining, Song" <WeininS at prose.dpi.qld.gov.au> wrote:

> Hi,
> Who discovered arabidopsis?
> As a 1st timer in this newsgroup, I hope my question is not too dumb.
> In the mid-80s, I heard it was Dr Langridge, a geneticist? (I can't remember
> his surname, but probably not Peter, his son, a plant molecular biologist)
> who discovered arabidopsis as a model plant. In 96 or 97, I read an article
> by Langridge (in Bioassay?) describing how he started the pioneering work on
> this virtually unknown plant. (Langridge did his PhD on arabidopsis in the
> 50s at Adelaide Uni?) I can't remember much of the details now. It seems
> this is Bioassay's acknowledgment that Langridge is the founding father of
> the arabidopsis research, just as Ray Wu's contribution to DNA sequencing
> (Wu also wrote an article in Bioassay talking about pre-Sanger sequencing),
> although Sanger got Nobel prize later.
> However, in the current issue of Science (282:662), Laibach and Redei were
> quoted as the first to use Arabidopsis as a model genetic organism.
> Can people in the know shed some light on my question, especially those
> familiar with all three's work.
> Thanks.
> Song Weining, PhD
> Molecular Biologis

>From Methods in Arabidopsis Research: Koncz, Chua and Schell, World
Scientific Publishing, 1992.

Article by Redei, "A heuristic glance at the past of Arabidopsis genetics":

1) Laibach
First experimental research initiated, 1907, cytological examination of
chromosome numbers and continuity.
Wrote, "Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) Heynh., als Objekt fur genetische und
Entwicklungsphysiologische Untersuchungen., 1943 -- identified many of the
features that make arabidopsis a nice experimental organism (seed yield,
ease of cultivation, low chromosome number, etc.)

2) Reinholz
Mutagenesis by X-rays, thesis 1947.

3) Langridge
Temperature sensitive thiamine auxotroph isolated, 1955 -- "an important
milestone"

4) Redei
Introduced arabidopsis genetic research to USA, 1956
Obligate thiamine auxotroph, 1960
First linkage information (6 linkage groups), 1964 with Hirono
Many other contibutions

This article goes up to about 1990; with many of the more "modern"
contributions to arabidopsis of Somerville, Meyerowitz, Schell, Feldmann,
etc.

The editors write dedicate this book to Redei "who for many years was
almost alone in his appreciation" of Arabidopsis.

My 2 electrons,
Brian

--
Remove "REMOVE" to reply