Agrobacterium-mediated transient expression

ian.moore at plant-sciences.oxford.ac.uk ian.moore at plant-sciences.oxford.ac.uk
Sat Nov 21 14:32:36 EST 1998

I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the direction of a
protocol for Agrobacterium-mediated transient expression in Arabidopsis
leaves.  I would also be interested to know if anyone has tried
unsuccesfuly to do this.

I am writing a chapter for a book of methods in cell biology and would
like to include a method for Agrobacterium mediated transient expression
(e.g. Kapila et al 1997 Plant Sci. 122, 101-108).  We have used this
method succesfully in tobacco after infiltrating leaves with a suspension
of Agrobacterium, but have so far failed to find suitable conditions for
use wiith Arabidopsis.  We have tried many different dilutions of
Agrobacterium and a number of different infiltration media. Literature
seraches have revealed methods that work with leaves of many species, but
not Arabidopsis (although I found a protocol that works for Arabidopsis
suspension cells).  I imagine others have tried this, so I am keen to
know if these attempts also failed or if someone managed to get suitable
conditons for Arabidopsis.  Thanks for any help.

Ian Moore