Agrobacterium-mediated transient expression

Jyoti Kapila jykap at gengenp.rug.ac.be
Wed Nov 25 11:55:10 EST 1998

hi ian,
good to hear my results of arabidopsis are confirmed.  yes, i also have
been trying to set up the system for Arabidopsis for some time already.
now i have some preliminary results, but again could be a false
posistive.  I shall contact you when i have some story there.
meanwhile, if you donot mind could you give me some info on what you
have been trying with negative results as well.
For tobacco, the system has worked well, i should try to send a small
note with more data on tobacco soon.
jyoti
ian.moore at plant-sciences.oxford.ac.uk wrote:

> I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the direction of a
> protocol for Agrobacterium-mediated transient expression in Arabidopsis
> leaves.  I would also be interested to know if anyone has tried
> unsuccesfuly to do this.
>
> I am writing a chapter for a book of methods in cell biology and would
> like to include a method for Agrobacterium mediated transient expression
> (e.g. Kapila et al 1997 Plant Sci. 122, 101-108).  We have used this
> method succesfully in tobacco after infiltrating leaves with a suspension
> of Agrobacterium, but have so far failed to find suitable conditions for
> use wiith Arabidopsis.  We have tried many different dilutions of
> Agrobacterium and a number of different infiltration media. Literature
> seraches have revealed methods that work with leaves of many species, but
> not Arabidopsis (although I found a protocol that works for Arabidopsis
> suspension cells).  I imagine others have tried this, so I am keen to
> know if these attempts also failed or if someone managed to get suitable
> conditons for Arabidopsis.  Thanks for any help.
>
> Ian Moore

Jyoti Kapila
DEPARTMENT OF GENETICS                         Fax:32 (0)9 2645349
UNIVERSITY OF GENT, K. L. Ledeganckstraat 35, B-9000 Gent, Belgium
Vlaams Instituut voor Biotechnologie                           VIB
mailto:jykap at gengenp.rug.ac.be    	   http://spider.rug.ac.be