post-doc position in metabolic signal transduction (Coruzzi lab)

Gloria Coruzzi coruzg01 at mcrcr.med.nyu.edu
Tue Oct 6 10:50:55 EST 1998

Postdoctoral position in Metabolic Signal Transduction/Biochemical Genetics
                Coruzzi Lab, New York University, Dept of Biology

The research focus of my lab concerns the molecular-genetic dissection of
nitrogen assimilation in Arabidopsis thaliana.  Our research projects focus
on the regulation of genes involved in assimilating nitrogen into the amino
acids glutamate, glutamine, aspartate and asparagine.  Arabidopsis mutants
defective in specific amino acid biosynthetic enzymes are being used to
define the rate-limiting enzymes involved in N-assimilation.  We are also
exploring the mechanisms by which light and/or metabolites ( carbon and
organic nitrogen) regulate the expression of particular genes in this
pathway.  Putative components of these light/metabolic signal transduction
pathways have been identified using both genetic and reverse genetic
approaches.  Two putative metabolic sensors isolated to date include a
plant PII-like protein and plant glutamate receptors which each appear to
be involved in aspects of metabolic signaling in Arabidopsis (see
references below).

Applications for a post-doctoral position should include a complete cv and
a list of three references including the full address, phone, fax, and
email of the references.  Applications can be sent by fax, email, or by
mail.

Dr. Gloria Coruzzi
New York University
Dept. of Biology
100 Washington Square East
1009 Main Building
New York, NY 10003

Tel: 212-998-3963
Fax: 212-995-4204
email: coruzg01 at mcrcr6.med.nyu.edu

http://www.nyu.edu/gsas/dept/bio

Recent relevant publications:
Melo-Oliveira R, Oliveira I, and Coruzzi G  (1996) Arabidopsis mutant
analysis and gene regulation define a nonredundant role for glutamate
dehydrogenase in nitrogen assimilation.  Proc. Nat'l Acad. Sci.
93,4718-4723.

Ngai N, Tsai F.Y. and Coruzzi G.M. (1997)  Light-induced transcriptional
repression of the AS1 gene:  Identification of cis- elements  and
transfactors.  Plant Journal.  12, 1021-1034.

Coschigano K, Melo-Oliveira R, and Coruzzi G (1998)  Arabidopsis mutants
and genes for distinct ferredoxin-dependent glutamate synthase isoforms:
Implications for photorespiration and primary nitrogen assimilation. Plant
Cell. Vol. 10, 741-752.

Arabidopsis mutants define an in vivo role for isoenzymes of aspartate
aminotransferase in plant nitrogen assimilation (1998) Genetics, 149,
491-499.

Hsieh MH, Lam HM, van de Loo F  and Coruzzi G (1998).  "A PII like protein
in Arabidopsis: Putative role in nitrogen sensing", Proc. Nat'l Acad. Sci.
USA.  In
Press.

Lam HM, Chiu J, Hsieh MH, Meisel L, Oliveira I, Shin M and Coruzzi G (1998)
"Glutamate receptor genes in plants" Nature, In press. (Oct/Nov).

Dr. Gloria Coruzzi                      tel 212-998-3963
Carroll & Milton Petrie Professor       fax 212-995-4204
New York University                     email: coruzg01 at mcrcr.med.nyu.edu

Dept. of Biology
100 Washington Square East
Main Building Room 1009