Embryo/seed EM question

Charles Logsdon clogsdon at indiana.edu
Fri Apr 16 12:15:09 EST 1999

Hey Folks,

I'm planning on performing a TEM timecourse analysis of the development
of certain cellular features in some mutant arabidopsis embryos between
0 and 12 DAF.  I'm planning on employing a pretty standard
glutaraldehyde/osmium/Spurr's protocol for the preparation.  I was
planning on fixing the entire ovule for the majority of the timecourse,
and don't anticipate any difficulties at all until the seed matures.
Does anyone know of any special fixation problems presented by mature
seeds?  Does the mature seed coat act as a barrier to the fixative at
all?

Charles