Ronald lab postdoctoral position available- rice blast

Pamela C. Ronald pcronald at ucdavis.edu
Tue Apr 27 19:03:04 EST 1999

<x-rich>Colleagues,

Please post and/or pass on the following position announcement.

Thanks for your help.

Pam

>Plant Molecular Genetics Postdoctoral Position

>Department of Plant Pathology, UC Davis, California

>A Postdoctoral Research Associate (Plant Molecular Geneticist)
position to

>investigate the genetics and molecular biology of resistance to rice
blast caused by <italic>Pyricularia oryzae</italic> is available June
15. The traditional African rice cultivar Moroberekan has been grown
for more than twenty years in large areas without great losses from
blast. The long term goal of this project is to gain an understanding
of the molecular basis for durable resistance. We have shown in our
previous studies that, although resistance in Moroberekan is
genetically complex, much of its qualitative resistance is attributable
to the dominant <italic>Pi-5(t)</italic> locus.
<italic>Pi-5(t)</italic> is associated with complete resistance to
diverse blast isolates. We have identified 33 AFLP markers linked to
the <italic>Pi-5(t)</italic> locus and two markers that flank
<italic>Pi-5(t)</italic> in a 2.1 cM interval.  The candidate will be
expected to : 1) finish high resolution mapping of
<italic>Pi-5(t</italic>); 2)  identify candidate clones from a BIBAC
library containing the <italic>Pi-5(t)</italic> locus for
transformation and 3) characterize th R gene product.

>This project will complement ongoing projects in the laboratory
directed at

>understanding the genetics of resistance to Xoo and blast in rice.  A
Ph.D.

>in genetics, molecular biology, plant pathology or related field is

>required.

>The ideal candidate will have a strong background in plant molecular

>biology, genetics, and breeding. A background in rice or Arabidopsis
molecular

>biology and research experience in the molecular genetics of disease

>resistance will be an asset. In addition, familiarity with principles
of

AFLP analysis and ability to develop and handle large populations will
be useful. Ability to work effectively in a team environment is
essential. Visit our website at   http://indica.ucdavis.edu.

For consideration send your cover letter and current resume by May 15,

>1999, to:

>Pamela Ronald

>Associate Professor

>228 Robbins Hall