Arabidopsis Green House

Christoph Benning benning at pilot.msu.edu
Thu Aug 12 12:05:54 EST 1999

Hi there,

here are the  responses (edited by me) to my  posted question (see below).
I decided to go with Son-Agrow sodium high pressure  lamps. Hope this helps
for all who had the same question.

Christoph

Original Question:
We are trying to set up a green house to grow  Arabidopsis. Apparently,
high sodium pressure lamps, which are most commonly used in green houses,
give the wrong spectral distribution (yellow) to grow nice Arabidopsis
plants. Does someone know a source of lamps other than fluorescence tubes
or high pressure sodium lamps suitable for Arabidopsis in a green house
environment? We want to acchieve an even illumination of about 100 umoles
per m2 per s with a full spectrum.

Answers:

From: Fritz Schomburg <fmschomb at students.wisc.edu

Actually, the Son-Agro sodium vapor lights do a fantastic job of growing
At.  The Son-Agro bulbs are slightly richer in the blue spectrum (they
still give a very yellow, and slightly unappealing light for humans though)
and have done a great job for us in growth chambers without any other
supplemental light.

Fritz,
Rick Amasino lab

From: John Turner" <j.g.turner at uea.ac.uk

We use Na-lamps for Arabidopsis, at about 120 uM/meter2/sec. The plants look
good,

John

John G. Turner
School of Biological Sciences
University of East Anglia
Norwich NR1 2PJ
England

From: Rik van Gorsel <rvgorsel at mpc186.mpibpc.gwdg.de>

I did some work on light conditions including HP Na in
the greenhouse for Arabidopsis.

--
Rik van Gorsel
Department of Molecular Biology