AFGC service facilities

Pam Green green at pilot.msu.edu
Tue Aug 17 19:57:42 EST 1999

The Arabidopsis Functional Genomics Consortium (AFGC), a NSF-funded
collaboration, has received many inquiries about the DNA Microarray and
Gene Knockout service facilities we will provide for academic labs next
year. Although our web sites with complete information will be open this
fall, this message is intended to provide a preliminary indication of our
plans and timeframe. An open letter from Mike Sussman to the research
community describing the operation of the Knockout Facility has been sent
to this newsgroup today. A brief description of the planned Microarray
Facility is below.

The AFGC DNA Microarray Facility will enable large-scale gene expression
studies to be performed.  Scheduled to open during the first quarter of
2000, it will operate as a single facility with two sites (at MSU and
Carnegie). Electronic applications will be solicited three times each year.
The first deadline will be approximately November 30, 1999. Our Web Site
will provide application forms and complete details. Arrays will contain
7,000-10,000 nonredundant ESTs (selected directly from the DNA stocks used
to sequence the ESTs at MSU). An independent Priorities Committee will
prioritize applications.  Approximately 100 experiments (two probes/slide)
will be carried out for facility users during each of the three cycles.
Users will be asked to send RNA and quality control data. The facility will
perform all other operations (probe labeling, hybridization, scanning). The
fee for this service will be approximately $1,200/experiment.  Data will be
released to the user immediately. Public release of data will be immediate
or within three months, (user's choice). The coordinator of the AFGC
Microarray Facility is Dr. Ellen Wisman (wismanp at pilot.msu.edu).  Our web
site should answer many of the additional  questions you may have when it
opens in the fall.

We hope that you will find these services and the data and materials they
generate useful for your research.

With best regards,

Pam Green
for the AFGC: