programs that will measure roots

Joshua Mylne J.Mylne at botany.uq.edu.au
Wed Aug 18 10:55:18 EST 1999

Arabidopsis folk,

Thank you for your replys to my post on the newsgroup.  In order to
speed up measuring roots (and avoiding neck pain) I was looking
for a program that would allow me to trace a freehand line over
digital images of roots (which are never straight) and then have the
length of the root recorded in a form that can be pasted straight into
something like MS-excel.  Most people recommended a program
called NIH image.  It was developed by the National Institute of
Health and is a Mac program and is downloadable for free from:
http://rsb.info.nih.gov/nih-image/download.html

For those who want a PC version of this program for Windows go to
the Scioncorp page where you can download a program called
SciImage (also free).  The webpage is: http://www.scioncorp.com/

Thanks again for your responses.

Josh

Josh Mylne