pollen mutagenesis

Melisa Tin Siong Lim mtsiongl at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Aug 19 20:06:47 EST 1999

I am looking for a protocol for the mutagenesis of pollen from
Arabidopsis. I would prefer to be able to use a mutagen that creates small
mutations, for example, EMS. I know that this has been done with corn
pollen but has anybody been successful using Arabidopsis pollen? X-rays
and Gamma rays have  been tried in Arabidopsis  but it seems that the use
of these mutagens commonly result in large non-transmissible deletions or
rearrangements; has anybody refined these techniques to make the genetics
more tractable? Another possibility is to use a pollen-specific
transposon-based system and I would like to know whether this has
previously been developed and could be made available to me.

I would be grateful for any information on this subject.

Thank you

Melisa Lim.
Washington University.