Positions at Exelixis

Mary Honma honma at acpub.duke.edu
Thu Dec 23 18:37:29 EST 1999

ASSOCIATE AND ASSISTANT RESEARCH SCIENTISTS IN FUNGAL AND ALGAL MOLECULAR
GENETICS

Exelixis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is a rapidly growing, well-funded private
biotechnology company located in the San Francisco Bay Area. Our mission is
to identify high-quality screening targets, therapeutic proteins and
biopesticides for the pharmaceutical, human diagnostic, crop protection,
and animal health industries. We have also developed an effective program
to elucidate the mode of action of pharmaceutical and agrochemical
compounds. We use a combination of model organism genetics, genomics, and
vertebrate biology to identify key molecules in these processes. Our plant
and fungal genetics programs are undergoing rapid expansion.  Positions at
the level of associate or assistant research scientist are available.  In
addition, we invite applications from laboratory scientists at more senior
levels.

MECHANISM OF ACTION

Candidates will utilize genetics of model plant and fungal systems (including
Chlamydomonas and Ustilago, yeast and other fungi) to identify molecular
targets of pesticides. We are looking for persons with experience in
microbial and fungal genetics who have a sound practical knowledge of
molecular biology. There will be an emphasis on creating new tools and
reagents for functional genomics in these organisms, and candidates with an
interest in technological development are encouraged to apply.

PLANT GENETICS

Candidates will utilize model plants (including Arabidopsis) to develop
methods for high-throughput reverse genetics, mutation identification, and
rapid gene cloning. Experience in plant transformation techniques and
phenotypic analysis and an interest in contributing to technical
breakthroughs in the manipulation of novel model organisms are essential.

We are seeking those qualified at the level of associate or assistant
research scientist. Persons with a minimum of a bachelor's degree and two
years of experience in plant or fungal genetics and molecular biology are
encouraged to apply.  We are also accepting applications from PhD
scientists in anticipation of future hiring.  For all positions, excellent
communication skills and the desire to work in a team-oriented environment
are essential.

We offer attractive salaries and benefits, stock options, and a
stimulating, highly interactive research setting that recognizes and
rewards achievement.

Please respond to:

Human Resources
Exelixis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.