CAB gene expression

David Horvath horvathd at fargo.ars.usda.gov
Wed Dec 29 09:47:33 EST 1999

I recently cloned a couple of CAB genes and found CAB to be upregulated
in underground buds of Euphorbia esula 3 days following induction of bud
growth by removal of the aerial portion of the plant.  As these genes
are coming on in the absence of light, I am wondering if there are
specific members of the CAB gene family that respond to different
environmental signals.  Upon a cursory look at the literature, I have
found the CAB genes are controlled by sugar, light, circadian rhythm,
some unknown signal from the plastids, (and other?).  I am planning on
using RNase protection assays to look at these early induced CAB genes
(and any other members of the gene family that might be detected
separately using this method).  However, it seems strange to me that
such an obvious experiment has not yet been done one of the better
studied systems and I do not wish to waste time doing something that has
already been done.  Thus, my question is:  are there any other papers
out there that describe similar experiments on CAB gene expression?  Any
info will be greatly appreciated.

Dave Horvath
USDA/ARS/BRL
Fargo, ND