Postdoctoral positions available

Sarah Grant sgrant at email.unc.edu
Sun Jan 10 20:40:42 EST 1999

NSF Funded Positions Available for POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWS and Ph.D students
to study the EVOLUTION OF SEX CHROMOSOMES in higher plants. Our research
team is investigating the evolution of sexual dimorphism in plants by
cytogenetic comparison of the organization of chromosomes in species with
diverse sex determination mechanisms. We are using the genus Silene as our
model because it includes species that are true hermaphrodites,
gynodioecious (hermaphroditic and female individuals coexist) or dioecious
(males and females coexist). Because all Silene species have the same
number of  chromosomes, the sex chromosomes must  have evolved from an
autosome pair. We are using in situ hybridization (FISH) to compare the
structure of the sex chromosomes in dioecious Silene to related chromosomes
in hermaphroditic Silene species. Candidates with experience in molecular
biology and cytogenetics are strongy encouraged to apply. Postdoc
applicants: please contact Sarah Grant at the address below. Ph.D.
candidates must apply to the doctoral program of the Department of Biology
at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Contact Sarah Grant at
the address below for more information.

Sarah Grant
email: sgrant at email.unc.edu
fax: (919) 962-1625