Basta phenotype?

Joshua Mylne J.Mylne at botany.uq.edu.au
Sat Mar 20 12:28:47 EST 1999

I have noticed in my arabidopsis transgenics which were
transformed with a Basta binary vector that a few plants from
different constructs have got really small siliques all the way along
the bolt.  The siliques usually only hold 2 or 3 seeds (if any).  I
initially thought it was a phenotype but I saw it for more than one
construct and then after planting some seed from these plants, the
T2 plants looked completely normal.  Co-workers using KmR said
they haven't seen this commonly.

What I would like to know is: 1. Does this happen much for people
not using Basta?  2. Has anyone using Basta seen the same
thing? and 3. Does anyone know what causes it?

Josh

Josh Mylne
Plant Genetic Engineering Laboratory
Department of Botany