Two post-doctoral positions

RISHIKESH P. BHALERAO rishi.bhalerao at genfys.slu.se
Wed May 19 10:21:20 EST 1999

Two Post-doctoral fellowships at the Dept of Forest Genetics and Plant
Physiology in Umea, Sweden:

We have two post-doc positions in our lab to work on the following
projects:

(I) The first position is in the area of cell cycle regulation during
wood formation in Poplar. We have cloned cDNAs for several key cell
cycle regulators from Poplar and are in the process of generating
transgenic plants with modified levels of these cell cycle regulators in
specific cell types in the wood forming tissues and assess the effect on
wood formation in transgenic trees.

(II) The second position is in the area of control of vascular
development by IAA. We have cloned several genes rapidly upregulated by
IAA and showing distinct tissue and cell type expression pattern in wood
forming tissues of Poplar. The project focuses on elucidating the role
of these IAA regulated genes in vascular development in Poplar and
Arabidopsis.

We are interested in employing highly motivated scientists with
background in molecular biology and protein chemistry to work with us on
the two projects. Both the projects involve collaboration with a team of
scientists investigating wood formation using a variety of approaches
involving analytical chemistry, microscopy and physiology.  The work
will involve construction and analysis of transgenic plants, cloning,
expression analysis, in-situ hybridisation and analysis of protein
phosphorylation. The positions are for 1+1 year starting as soon as
possible for the applicant.

The Dept of Forest Genetics and Plant Physiology employs over 70
scientists and students. We have sophisticated facilities for growth
regulator measurements, confocal microscopy and several green houses.
The city of Umea is a pleasent university town with excellent facilities
for extracuricular activities with swimming pools, tennis and squash
courts. In addition to the forestry department, the University of Umea
has outstanding departments performing research in microbiology, animal
and plant development.

Interested individuals should send c.v. with name and addresses (fax
and/or email) of three referees to:

Dr. Rishikesh P. Bhalerao at the address below:

Department of Forest Genetics and Plant Physiology
The Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
S-901 83
Umea
Sweden

Tel:+46-90-7866282