plant development & evolution newsgroup

david baum dbaum at oeb.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 2 14:58:52 EST 1999

Dear Colleagues,

You are invited to join the new PDE newsgroup which is composed of
researchers from around the world who are studying plant development and
evolution.  The questions this group focuses on include:

What kinds of genes and genetic changes cause the evolution of plant
development and morphology?
Are patterns of molecular evolution in developmentally important
gene-families special?
What can molecular developmental genetics tell us about the origin of
evolutionary novelties?
Do parallel origins of similar-looking characters entail parallel changes
in development/genetics?
Can developmental and molecular data inform the evaluation of homology?
Can developmental data inform the reconstruction of plant phylogenetic
relationships?
Does the developmental program of a plant constrain or facilitate
phenotypic evolution (or both)?

This newsgroup is an ideal place to:  1) Raise substantive questions on
plant development and evolution; 2) Float novel hypotheses for critical,
but open-minded review; 3) Highlight upcoming meeting of interest to the
group; 4) Post employment opportunities, 5) Exchange technical knowhow on
difficult techniques (e.g., in situ hybridization); and 6) Discuss measures
that we can take to increase the impact of our field on the rest of
evolutionary and developmental biology.

(ideally without a signature):

subscribe pde you at email

I hope you decide to come on board.

David

David Baum
Dept. Organismic and Evolutionary Biology
Harvard University Herbaria
22 Divinity Avenue
Cambridge MA 02138

Tel: (617)496-6744, -8766