mapping mutant problem

James Campanella campanellj at mail.montclair.edu
Wed Nov 3 11:37:38 EST 1999

Dear Arabinauts,

I have a question which may or may not be naive. I
just began a gene mapping project using several of
the mapping strains available from the Arabidopsis
Resource Center. Four of the strains I chose grew up
well and I had no trouble with crosses, but the fifth
died chlorotically in the vegetative stage. The
problem strain was CS4 which is a triple mutant for
chlorina, apetela, and glabrous. I am assuming that
the chlorina mutation was the one that "did the strain
in" since the other two mutations should not affect
viability. According to the seed stock book, this strain
needs no special growth requirements. Is this wrong? I
grew the CS4 mutant under standard light and growth
conditions. Are there special precautions to take to
get it to grow happily?

Thanks for the help,

Jim Campanella,
Biology,