genetic distance of ecotypes

Frederik Boernke boernke at nospam.ipk-gatersleben.de
Thu Nov 4 13:05:11 EST 1999

Hi all,

we'd like to PCR a part of Arabidopsis genomic DNA. The sequence
information available relates to a gene from the Landsberg ecotype.
Since we have only Columbia by hand we were wondering whether one
has to consider differences in the sequences of both ecotypes when
disigning the primers?
In this context the question arose how close/far related ecotypes are
in general? How is an ecotype actually defined? How relates the term
"ecotype" in the case of Arabidopsis to the term "variety" in the case
of potato for instance?
Please enlighten us.

TIA
Ricky